Sunday, January 23

it's life's illusions i recall...

conversation that took place at Orange Bear between jack 2 (matt) and myself friday night:

i pull up a chair.
jack 2: hey, v.v. ... what took you so long?
me: why, was i missed?
jack 2: kinda... well, i needed you to tell me how to get here... beer?
me: grrr...
(new song starts)
me: oh, my god, they're playing scarsborough fair... i've had this song stuck in my head since last tuesday, when i saw the graduate.
jack 2: yeah, i love that movie. you'd seen it before, right?
me: no...
jack 2: really? v.v., i'm dissappointed... you'd really never seen it? you, of all people...
me: just rub it in, will you...
me: hey, did you ever notice that the lyrics to this song are a lot like the lyrics of girl from the northern country?
jack 2: well, no shit, v.v. ... you didn't know that? i'm surprised at you. (hums)

"are you going to scarsborough fair?
parsley, sage, rosemary and thyme
remember me to her that lives there-
she once was a true love of mine."

"if you're travelling the north country fair
where the wind blows heavy on the border line
ah, remember me to one that lives there-
she once was a true love of mine."


me: right... i knew that... (i think for a moment). wait, then who stole...
(song becomes extremely loud)
me: grrr...

i feel like an idiot. how did i never notice that? and who stole from who? i'd like to think that S. & G. ripped off Dylan, but it's probably the other way around. i'm truly dying to know, but i don't want to ask, being such a big dylan fan and all... how the hell did i not notice that? they're not even mildly obscure songs; they're even on two of my favorite albums.

later, i go to harry's house and talk to his dad for a few minutes. harry then procedes to show me via the internet that the lion king is not, as i had believed, based on Hamlet, but on an anime movie called kimba that came out several years earlier.

oh, god. they're messing with my mind again.

(John Cleese jumps into my blog)
"... and now for something completely different."

at EFP yesterday, we had to write a conflict skit and then analyze the conflict and resolve it. (it's not as dull as it sounds.) we wrote a skit about a kid who turned his friend in for downloading a paper; severe roughhousing was involved, and i assumed that some guys would play the parts of the students. (note that the girls from Hewitt did a skit about two girls who buy the same pair of shoes for prom.) when casting time rolled around, however, Tia grabbed the part of the brown-nose.

"who wants to be the cheater?" asked Louie. there was silence.
"i think v.v. should do it," he said.
i felt flattered, so i joked. "it's because i'm mexican, isn't it?" i have forgotten completely about the "pusing and shoving" scenes.
Louie grins. "damn mexicans."

the skit begins.
Tia: "Well, you cheated!"
me: "fuck!"
(i run and grab a script. we start over.)

the skit actually begins; Tia and i yell at each other across the room (all perfectly scripted now) and generally enjoy ourselves-- until the fight scene. Tia launches herself at me from across the room and tackles me to the ground, actually pulling my hair and scratching me. for a moment i'm in shock; then my self-preservation instincts kick in. i kick back, matching blow for blow.

"i have to go to college!" i scream. "ms. d. wouldn't give me an extension!"
she reaches for my eyes. i grab her wrist.
"so? i had to do the paper, too! you shouldn't have left it on the computer screen!"
i feel a nail in my thigh.
"why were you looking at my computer?"
our audience looks concerned. Phil B. (yes, amanda's brother) and Louie jump in and intervene, only partially acting.

Tia and i hug each other to reassure the audience.
"i have a rugburn on my knee," whispers Tia.
"we're going to remember this five years from now, you know," i whisper back, and laugh. "you almost got my eye."
"are you guys ok?" asks Louie, looking sincerely concerned.
we laugh more.

1 New Ideas

New Ideas:
Blogger VVM thinks...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Who links to me?