Monday, April 25

'Twas then that the Hurdy-Gurdy man came, singing songs of love...

All right, this is ridiculous. I think we all have cases of severe egotism. People do read these blogs, and they do get hurt sometimes by the things we write, but is it any better to think the thing and not write it? I think that the real problem lies in the way everyone's gotten hateful all of the sudden. I think that the way everyone's become judgemental is almost presumptuous. The more I get to know people, the more I realize that nobody is what they seem to be on the surface; how can we really judge each other if we don't even know each other? I'm not really concerned about the whole blogging thing; the blogs are just freer gossip circles when stuff like this happens, and I'm sure that the people who are upset about what's been written about them are more upset by the percieved insult than by the fact that it was written up. Yes, it's a little much to put some of this stuff on the internet sometimes, but is it any better to hear it from your friends? Let's face it, Friends is a small school, and nothing stays quiet for long. Everyone will know this stuff at some point. The real problem is that we're judgemental enough to think that way, to regard people in such a negative light. Is it really necessary to have a distinct opinion of everyone?

Maybe it is. Maybe I'm insane. I don't know. I don't mean to insult anyone. I just think you guys are great people, and I don't see why we can't all put it aside and love each other.

By the way--y'all need to stop hiding. I know I have at least twenty or thirty readers from my sitemeter, and only four of the fifty people who read my last post commented. Granted, some may have read it twice (and some commented twice), but still... it's creepy to think of people withholding their identities like that. I'm honest with you guys. Be a little honest with me? Drop a comment on that post. I still want to know who actually reads this.

So... yeah. I went to the Bogo-San's country house and had a lovely weekend, although now I'm being forced at gunpoint to do homework. I've got a stupid World's Fair project to do for History, and I made the mistake of telling my parents about it, and now they're frantically buying books and google-ing stuff and generally making everything much more complicated than it needs to be. On the plus side, though, Harry's mom gave me a beautiful '88 brown leather bomber jacket, and I've been driving them crazy by wearing it in the house. It's comfy and lovely and clean and it smells like pinewood, and I don't even feel guilty about the fact that it's leather because I didn't buy it--I'm just helping Jo out by taking it off of her hands. Hee hee!

Good news on the former-writer's-block front: I've been writing like a madwoman! I think I've written ten poems in the last week. Most of them aren't any good, but overall I think the quality of my work is going up. I keep having little daytime fantasies about being a great poet of the twenty-first century and being buried in Poet's Corner, even though it's all ridiculous and I don't think they bury people there any more anyway.

And triumph of the week: a while ago I entered a piece for the Scholastic Writing Awards competition, much to my parent's chagrin (they wanted me to do homework all day instead). When I won an award, my sister proceeded to mock me for the title of the piece, and my parents gave me a clap on the back and then went about their business. These days they're pressuring me about filling out forms for summer programs I'm supposed to go to in order to buff up my resume for my college applications (because they're college nazis), and the program they're stressing most is a Creative Writing program at Columbia. In the middle of English last week I was reading everyone's blogs and decided to check my AOL mail, even though I dont' really use it that much any more. To my delight, I found an email from the Scholastic people, telling me that I was not only automatically accepted into the program because of the award--I was also eligible for a scholarship! I didn't get the scholarship, but it was cool being able to tell my parents that I'd already gotten in by my own means. I think Camille Guthrie was a bit upset when she found out I'd been checking my email in class instead of working on my essay about this, but she was nice about it and seemed happy for me, even though it meant that the nice recommendation she wrote me hadn't been necessary. (I can't wait to see what she names her baby!)

Backtracking a bit: I still have your clothes from Friday, Oona and Rachel. And I think we all know how awesome the play was. I was jumping out of my seat every second. The gangsters were hilarious, Rie was sexy, Frankie was fierce, Adam danced wonderfully and Sam never missed a beat. WonderBoy delivered every punch line perfectly, and Greg Cum-Tongue startled everyone with his clear voice and fervent acting. The costumes were glorious and the set survived intact, despite the distraction of Dennis's Chinese girlfriend and Gentry's last-minute sewing frenzy. I couldn't get enough of it. It really is a shame that it couldn't have gone on longer, and I'm still angry at my dad for making me miss the cast party. Although I still have the kick-ass sunglasses I found on Dan Hunter's roof, and somewhere within me several of LK's breathmints reside to this day.

Random: tonight is the second Bob Dylan concert I've been to. If I don't come to school on Tuesday, you can assume that my corpse is still staring in awe at the stage of the Beacon.

I just spent half an hour looking at Gentry's gorgeous friends and various other funky people that I don't know on Friendster. Does that make me a loser?

Don't answer that.

PS--go back and tell me what your coffee pot looks like! Do you think I'd make a good hedge-sparrow?

8 New Ideas

New Ideas:
Blogger HOJ & co. thinks...

gimme mah skirt back you slorebucket. i hate choo.

-anonymous person with a lime green coffee pot who thinks you'd make a lovely hedge-sparrow.

12:43 PM  
Blogger Jaya thinks...

You're seeing Dylan!?!? Oh how I envy you. Ok well I saw Wilco last weekend at JazzFest, and at same fest I'm seeing Madeleine Peyroux and Elvis Costello this weekend, so I guess I have nothing to complain about. But oh please, give the man all my love.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Harris Wolf thinks...

You know the old saying 'if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything at all."? Well although that saying is very annoying and might make you want to make snide comments back at the person who tells you it... at the same time it's some *very* good advice for something as public as a blog.

Although it might feel good to vent for a little at the same time incuring the wrath of people that you really don't even dislike all that much just isn't worht it.

Also... don't you want people to have a distinct opinion of you Veronica? Imagine if you were just "that hippy girl that has an older boyfriend." Imagine if nobody really gave you enough thought to form anything cohesive. It's a *good* thing to form decisive opionions of other people. Hopefully they'll usually be good ones.

*Grin* I hope that dylan concert was worth over half a million dollars and that you are still staring at the stage with an open mouth, a strand of silver saliva swinging from it in a gentle breeze.

My coffee pot is a metallic silver with a black handle.

aaand... no... you wouldn't make an especially good hedge sparrow now that I think about it. *sometimes* you would. But other times? an owl? big eyes anyways...

-contemplative and tick infested love- bobo-san

9:09 PM  
Blogger Harris Wolf thinks...

*sigh*

bogo-san goddamit. bogo-san.

9:10 PM  
Blogger Julia thinks...

Erm...I don't know if if I have a coffee pot....But my teapot is bright bright red. I'm not sure what a hedge sparrow is, but I'm sure you'd be a great one.

5:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

Don't drink coffee...and to settle the question, you are most definetly a raven. QED.

By the way, what exactly happened to bring about this post? Not being a blogger myself, I'm a bit out of the loope, and am naturally curious.

--Zack

5:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

OMG LOOK, it's elena's weekly disgustingly long comment. here it comes. omg fuck, it's HERE.

hi dude. whats up. oh and sorry that i always remark about the longness of my comments every time i comment. it's redundant. i'll stop. so anyways, why r u posting this? what happened? did u write some shit and then like, shitty things happen? i cant imagine u writing shit about people, i mean, dude, come on, that's my job. but was it like, someone from school or whatever? i dunno, it was an interesting post. oh and i dunno, i think u'd make a fine hedge sparrow, whatever that is. it's probably like, i dunno, a regular bird thingy that lives in a hedge. yay, you are a hedge sparrow. omg i'm going to have to call you this forever. i'll be like "hey hedge sparrow." wait that sounds horrible. ewww. i'll call u sparrow. aren't some people already named sparrow? i dunno. it reminds me of when my cousin used to call me "spring chicken." and it reminds me of the happy sheep joke. dude do you want some yogurt? i really want some yogurt. HAHAHAHAHHA. good times. good times, oh the good times. don't you love jokes that arise from conversations such as those that aren't weird cuz it's like, us? it's like, you know when a friend is a good friend when it's not weird cuz it's like, you. ok i'm going to stop talking about that conversation, though it was very good. oh and lol, lets not forget the philosophy on life thing. ah, hilareness. it was so hilare. isn't hilare a weird word. i'll stop. i'll say hilarious. eve says hilare. anyways. baaahahahha. now i am going to get off my ass and go into my kitchen JUST to see what color my coffee pot is. ok it's silve with a black handle and a black thingy on the bottom and a black little knob thingy on the top. woot. oh and i agree, we should all be happy and less hateful. i'll have to work on that lol. i'm ending this comment. goodbye.

12:09 AM  
Blogger Lucas thinks...

Thanks for the word on the song. Yes, all my efforts are just a sad attempt to match the awesomeness and true inspiration of The Real Girl.

6:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Who links to me?