Wednesday, March 1

The last week has been a rush of touring colleges, doing homework, negotiating test scores, taking practice-SATs and practice-APs, being tutored, filming "Jaime Bond" for my spanish class, trying to keep up with the back-row tap class, being social for a change, hanging out with underclassmen, playing guitar again for the first time in over a year, repairing relationships, jamming to Dylan on my harmonica decently well, writing like crazy, chasing journalists, and being called a hippie in various forms.

It all started when I used the word "descalzarse" in spanish class (to take off one's shoes). From there it was discovered that I sit in empty buildings and write when I run into them and that I was mistaken for a homeless person the weekend before last. I'm no longer just a hippie in their eyes. I'm a squatter. It's gotten to the point where when I say that I don't really like ACDC, DaSilva just says "yeah, but you're a crazy hippie feminist and shit."

While it's true that I have some kind of liberal habits, como descalzarme, I also do a lot of un-hippie-ish things, like:
get a rush out of studying for the AP english test
break down
fight with my parents
not get stoned, high or drunk (much)
dedicate myself to the newspaper every quarter
eat meat uninhibitedly
enjoy physics and calculus
openly piss off Charlie Blank (google-proofed, he uses a c, not a k)
cut Jazz Vocal to do work
act possessive
be an emotional strain on everyone in general
resist non-coed colleges
resist a lot of non-mainstream colleges
judge people
be materialistic
read and listen only to semi-classic books and music
be uptight in general
enjoy really nerdy things, like graphic novels, superhero movies and French silent films
.

Actually, I kind of wish I didn't do most of those things, with the exceptions of enjoying things and pissing off Charlie B., and maybe the newspaper. Anyway, I maintain that they're mislabeling me.

I'm in such a good mood, though, that I don't care.

It feels so good to write. I have a million things on my mind that I usually supress for a variety of reasons, and it's nice to feel like I'm learning something about myself for a change. I even tackled the "why I write" question today.

Something in me really likes being busy.

7 New Ideas

New Ideas:
Blogger Sophie thinks...

I wish more of my life was a happy, manic, intellectually stimulating rush of activity as described above, rather than flat, cynical, and Midwestern, with activity being more time consuming than rewarding.

3:54 PM  
Blogger VVM thinks...

I firmly believe that happiness, insanity and intellectual stimulation can be achieved (or not achieved) anywhere. Besides, you can do all of that in the suburbs! Except for the hippie part, because your friends might not think you are one, or might be hippies themselves. Anyway, I mostly firmly believe that, I guess.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Sophie thinks...

Perhaps you are right. Maybe, for me, its more of a state of mind than the state of Illinois. But this blog isn't about me! So, Veronica, daddy-o, I fittina take your advice, and advise you to listen to Buddha. He seems to know what he's talking about.

Whoa. Am I high?

7:42 PM  
Blogger Frankie thinks...

Wow: I don't know DaSilva, but I suddenly find myself consumed with a rush of pure loathing for him upon learning that he used the phrase "crazy hippie feminist and shit." I HATE people who use the word "feminist" as an insult. Does he believe that women deserve the same fundamental rights as men? Does he believe women should be allowed to vote, own property, earn wages, and speak in public? If so, he's a feminist. If not, don't TALK to him!

Whoa. Am I a lesbian?

On a less cringe-inducingly lesbotronic note: You were mistaken for a homeless person? I'd like to hear the story behind that.

8:58 PM  
Blogger Harris Wolf thinks...

eh... frankie, alex is sorta the guy to, if I may, "kid" about that sort of thing.

He's honestly fairly balanced and smart.

Do you really think he could be around veronica if he didn't like assertive women?

9:06 PM  
Blogger Sharpie thinks...

Frankie's taking a class about gender issues. At USC. A football school. forgive her for being all lesbian about shit.



Also, he is Charlie Blank-with-a-k. I know this much is true.


Also, hippie is a fun label to have. Just don't do cocaine. Which is not a hippie thing, but I hates it nonetheless. Um.

9:37 PM  
Blogger Lucas thinks...

A good number of the things on that list are extremely hippyish.

10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Who links to me?