Saturday, March 11

Spent all morning at school doing layout and only finished about half of it, but it was all worth it when my mom called and asked if I wanted to go to Daffy's downtown with her (the one by our house closed). We spent all afternoon there and I got to buy nice clothes for the first time in a while. I do manage to find high-quality stuff at thrift shops, but there's an essential difference between weeding through and finding one FCUK shirt and having whole racks of discounted Chloe and whatnot at your disposal.

I kinda binged a little.

The more I shop, though, the more I realize that I don't really like clothes that are "cool" in themselves and that are meant to make the wearer instantly cool. I like simple, well-fitting clothes that I can pile other simple clothes and simple jewelry on top of until I have an intricate and self-made outfit. I like buying simple clothes and altering them myself. I LOVE making my own clothes. I don't know why I restrict myself this way, because it does make things difficult, but it's much more rewarding to feel like your style is unique and your own creation than to feel like you're wearing a pile of factory-made clichés.

This is true of the way I regard people as well. I hate it when people use clichés, lofty or vulgar, to define themselves. I hate it when people advertise their cool-ness by plastering themselves with images of other things they think are cool, talking about things that they think make them cool, and using phrases or gestures that they think are cool. It's too much of an admission of being nothing but a pile of cultural mannerisms, rather than a genuine person with individual tastes. I'm sure I do a bit of this, but I know that the things I like and the things I do I do purely for my own sake, because I enjoy them. I read famous books, but I drop ideas, not names, when I converse, and I hate it when people do it the other way around.

Other people, catchphrases and clichés will not make you "cool" in the eyes of anyone but others of your type. When will people get that? Or maybe I'm the only one who thinks that way, and everyone else is happy to judge each other by purely cultural standards.

I can't wait to go to college.

0 New Ideas

New Ideas:

Post a Comment

<< Home





Who links to me?