Friday, January 28

Dandy, Dandy

This is the story of Andy.

I met Andy in Wisconsin. While mopping the floor and singing in Italian. Of all things.

It's a very long story, but the gist of it is that I was thirteen (fourteen in one week), working in the kitchen of my camp in Wisconsin (if you serve half the meals and wash dishes afterwards you don't pay as much for the camp) and having a very bad time because for the first time in my life none of my friends had come at the same time as me. I was working non-stop about seven hours a day in a vain effort to disprove all the New Yorker stereotypes I'd encountered, and was not taking it at all well. It was the shittiest day I'd had in a long time, and I was mopping the floor of Western Lodge, the enourmous hall where we ate, and feeling sorry for myself. In effort to cheer myself up, I started to sing an Italian song that invokes the sun. (I know, I know; how very metaphorical.) I had slept only three hours the night before because my friend had woken me up four times to take her to the nurse for her migraines and lost them before we got there.

Just when I thought I would pass out, I heard a voice say "Are you mopping the whole hall by yourself?"

It was Kieran Culkin, straight from Igby Goes Down and Dangerous Lives of the Altar Boys and complete with sexily long, slightly dissheveled reddish hair. So it seemed, at least. How could I not be stricken with romantic notions?

It didn't help that he insisted on finishing the mopping while I sorted silverware, a job that at least allowed me to sit, and got into an easy, relaxed conversation with me in which he proved that he was indeed as chivalrous, funny, loveable and attractive as I'd hoped he'd be. We did dishes together that night. (I succeeded in soaking him from head to toe with the sink-hose). We hung out every day in the kitchen when his work schedule was changed. He made it very clear from the first that he was very attracted to me. I, on the other hand, was shy, hesitant to make first steps, nervous whenever I talked to him.

How can I describe Andy? He's a little on the preppy side, granted, but still sincere and kind. He's the kind of guy that not one person can bear to dislike, the kind of guy that gives the kind of hugs that make your day and never thinks about himself. He always works hard and, after working seven hours straight when the dishwasher breaks, will still insist on working your shift so you can get some rest. An all-American cross-wearing nature-loving theater-obsessed good guy with the world's biggest heart.

So it really wasn't so strange that I fell painfully in love.

And it really wasn't so strange that when I told him I lived in New York, he jumped up and down, unknowingly spraying the windows with dishwashing soap, and told me that he was coming to New York in three weeks.

And it made sense that I ate dinner with his family one night, got invited to a party at his relatives' rather large house in New Jersey (which my mom wouldn't let me go to because she hadn't met him) and spent an entire day showing him the Empire State building, Greenwich Village and Times Square.

And it was only logical that we called each other a few times a week just to talk, and that I saw him when I came over Winter Break.

Eventually, however, the calls slowed down, and although he was still charming, sweet and decidedly interested whenever I talked to him online (which was only about once a month), everything faded away after about four months. I suppose I preferred to think of myself as a victem of circumstances, seperated by states only from what would have been a very happy relationship for both of us. And after all, no matter how passionate it seemed at the time, all it ever was was a childish romance in the midst of the final pained and emotional stages of puberty.

What could I do? I was no longer sure if he had any interest in me, and the silence was painful. I forced myself to forget him. When I met Bogo-San a few short months after that decision, the first person I'd had so much real interest in in quite a while, I determined to pursue my end and not let my own shyness kill the relationship again. I was fed up with hiding my feelings, fed up with pain. I still couldn't bring myself to be completely frank, and God knows I was insecure, but I'm glad I did what I did, no more and no less.

That summer proved odd. Staff Training Week at Anokijig (the camp) found me amongst mostly seventeen- and eighteen-year-olds who had been my counselors in the past, without most of my friends of previous years, and missing Bogo-San terribly. I mumbled a word or two to Andy about "let's just be friends" and somehow neglected to tell him that I'd been dating a guy in New York for almost two months.

Everything worked out well, for the most part; I avoided him when I was alone, skipped the weekly dance three nights in a row to run the movie projector for the younger kids, and through him made several new friends that I wouldn't have missed out on for anything. He was, as always, bright and brilliant, taking everything in stride but still managing to seem interested in me, which made me afraid somehow. I had no desire to return to my former painful state; having seen a glimpse of the other side, of what a relationship can be, I know now that choosing happiness is far more rewarding.

So when I talked to him online last night, I figured it would be no big deal if I casually mentioned that I'd been dating H. for the last eight or nine months.

"Do you still go to fencing?" he asked fondly;
me: "Not really... this guy who used to stalk me is always there, and it makes me nervous."
Andy: "Wow, that sucks. Yuck."
me: "Yeah... he pretty much ignores me now, though, because my boyfriend told him to leave me alone."
Andy: "How long have you had a boyfriend?"
me: "A while now, almost nine months."
Andy: "Wow! I'm happy for you."
me: "Yeah, it's really great. I mean it's really wonderful."
silence for a bit.
me: "thank you."
more silence.
me: "Hey, i have to go..."
I get an "Auto response": "Nobody's talkin, so just give me a call. 217-0110. -Andy."
me: "Alright, well, I'm going. I love you."

...and now I'll probably never IM him again.
Here's to awkward summers.

4 New Ideas

New Ideas:
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

hey dude i am talking to you right now about how controversial this post is...and i know that harry is not upset but woah man...this is tres controversial. it's also an awfully dramatic post. your life is very dramatic. i mean in a good way though, like in an exiting way. i mean, like, seriously, my life is like, a zillion bagillion gagillion times less dramatic sounding. and i'm starting to lose material for my play cuz it's like wow, how do i make my life dramatic in enough. OMG I NEED TO USE THE DO YOU WANT SOME YOGURT LINE!!! i actually told my fried about that and she was like "it's hilarious, use it." dude i need not say what other inside joke i was about to say because i'm like, 99 percent sure you know what it is. and if you don't then just think. and by the way he andy doesn't look like kieran culkin...i totally don't get it. i mean he looks good and everything but i don't see the kieran culkin resemblance...this just reminded me of the "spectre is really great thing" cuz someone told me i looked like the girl in big fish...omg duuuude!!!!! roses are red, violets are blue, SPECTRE IS REALLY GREAT! omg omg omg. remember how hysterical i was! good times...dude i just thought of the fightclub i guess thing...ahahahaha. lol it's so funny cuz now i'm the one who's like "i guess?! fightclub i guess! how could you!" because it's the best movie ever cuz brad pitt is so very hot in it and of course i would not have said i guess. oh and i love "the beatles, duh" thing. oh and today someone made a reference in acting class to "drive my car" and i was the only one who got it and i was like "how could they not get it!" but yeah. aaannnnnnyyyywayyyys i gotta go but ttyl! i heart u!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Sharpie thinks...

Awww. That's an aww-inducing story.

In other news, which fencer used to stalk you? I stopped fencing after 10th grade for an only marginally similar reason, and would like to commiserate.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Harris Wolf thinks...

*Psst Laura... the fencer who used to stalk Veronica? I'll give you a clue... the first names david... and the last one isn't tay.*

Ah... that's actually too bad... the poor guys seems pretty decent. *sigh* it's really too bad that no mortal man can compare to the might and brilliance that is Mr. B. Heh.... ah... but seriously... Veronica, I've already told you this in person... but I'm the sort of man who likes to repeat things. You should really get back in touch with young Andy. Just cause his heart is shattered doesn't mean you can't help him pick up the pieces.

Um... I'd help... but he might not appreciate it so much... haha...

And Elena is right... your life really is a crazy trip eh?

-Happy Sheep- Bogo-San

10:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

v.v........
its raining men! hallelujia! why so glum? Andy may have been handy but Happy Sheep Bogo-San has MUCH better hair. -oona

9:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Who links to me?