Thursday, September 8

...and way off in the distance, there're seven new people born.

I must confess that I didn't do any of the things one is supposed to do before school starts. I didn't do any back-to-school-shopping. I didn't buy matching pastel binders and pencils, and I didn't plan my outfit and leave it folded neatly on a chair. I didn't buy a pencil sharpener or a stapler or cute little magnetic clips for my locker. I didn't pack my bag the night before or go over my schedule. I didn't even show up on time. I overslept in a men's plaid flannel shirt (I ran out of pijamas) and almost fell on my face getting out of bed. It was the first day of school and I just simply didn't care.

When I was a freshman I held this belief that there were really cool people in high school doing really cool, intellectual things that I didn't know about. I assumed that every party I wasn't invited to was fun and hilarious and deeply meaningful. I wondered if Blake and Huxley were right about drugs opening the doors of perception. I thought all of the so-called hippies and artistes and musicians were sincere. I thought people read books and examined paintings and cared about classicism. I thought there were lofty and wonderful things going on.

Now I'm a junior and I feel like there's absolutely nothing going on behind the screen. The parties aren't funny or enlightening or even all that memorable, and the people seem like zombies. They keep going around in nice tiny circles like wind-up toys with broken wheels and they barely see each other. Nobody seems to have changed at all. Everyone seems content to keep doing what they were doing. Life is becoming a collage of homework, alarm clocks, bells, classes, faces, pizza, french fries, hallways, silent meeting, lockers. The same faces will keep being thrown back at me in random, meaningless sequences. Nothing's different, except that there's no Harry to smile for or walk through the park with. Maybe I'm different. I don't even know. I ate lunch with my sister today.

2 New Ideas

New Ideas:
Blogger Harris Wolf thinks...

Ah V... don't get that way ok?

Yes it is true that the classes get very repetitive, that the parties usually aren't all that great, that the hippies and poets are usually far more self centered than they would ever admit, and that not very many people spend hours at museums admiring art work.

BUT!

Every single person *in the entire world* is just as complex and full of stories and ideas as You! Even though you might not always see it, if you do try a bit harder you might find that there are quite a few people you haven't even noticed yet that really are quite interesting.

Also!

You have quite a few friends in the school who will be more than happy to see you (you told me the other day about that great day you had going to see the forty year old virgin) and remember you *do* have fun at parties!

Don't worry yourself veronica... I'm going to see you at the very least once a week, and when my homework load isn't as great then I'll see you even more.

I love you Veronica... there's alot of light out there for you to bask in... don't try and hide in the shadows ok?

see ya tomorrow!

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

dammit, harry got to do the "chill, dude" comment first. poo. well now it's my turn to say chill dude. so yeah, CHILL DUDE! ok. NUMBER 1. THERE ARE PLENTY OF CHILL PEOPLE. well maybe plenty is an overstatement. but there are some. (one of them is named elena and she is like so totally super cool and i recommend you chill with her like every day forever) there are definately lots and lots of chill people. yes, you're right that there are incredibly few "intellectual" parties and there isn't so much totally exciting stuff going on in school but THERE IS SOME. and that is enough. just chill with who you like! i mean, what do you mean there aren't chill people? last night you hung out with like, 400 chill people! so yeah. and dude, there are a lot of people who read books and analyze paintings and music and such. DUDE i mean seriously. in france i could spend like an hour looking at ONE painting. LIKE DUDE lets go to MoMa or the Met or whatever and like, talk about art! lets go to a concert! lets go to a fucking poetry reading! and you know what you will see there? TONS OF OTHER PEOPLE WHO LOVE THIS STUFF. and you're gonna say yeah, but none of them go to my school but I KNOW there are people who do like this stuff. so guess what? we're chillin next weekend. not this one. but the next one. BAH. you can't say anything. I AM MAKING YOU CHILL. and we're going to do tons of intellectual shit. and it will rock. OH AND DUDE. NUMBER 2. YOU DO HAVE FUN AT PARTIES you are always like OMG I LOVE THESE PARTIES OMG THAT WAS SUCH A GREAT PARTY OMG. you always do that. so yeah! YOU LIKE LIFE. and it's ok that we're gonna have fewer friends next year cuz we'll just chill and do our own shit. YAY. and even now, not to sound cliche but "do your thing," ok dude? one thing i learned in like, the past 2 years is like, you should just GO. DO STUFF. and when you're doing your stuff you'll find people who are also doing that stuff and you'll be like "OMG , you do this stuff?" and they'll be like "yeah man! woohhoooo lets chill." and if it takes a while to find those people, never fear, they will be there. and i'm there! so yeah! that was quite a crazy comment. this is the end of it now.

5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Who links to me?