Tuesday, April 4

I don't want to brag, but you asked for it, so here it is. Here's why I'm awesome. Here's the reason no one can bring me down unless I choose to let them do so. Here's my answer to several misconceptions about me that seem to be especially common these days.

I'm not a self-centered person. I write about myself because I don't think I have the right to write about anyone else, but I do so with the knowledge that people who choose to come to my site want to hear about me. It's a way to keep in touch with friends in other states and countries who do the same and a way to clarify misconceptions about myself and be open with people. I'm a very caring person that will love easily and forgive easily when befriended and I do not condescend or judge other people unless they give me strong reasons to do so (and they have to be pretty extreme reasons). I tend to look for the best in people and live a happier life for that reason.

My friends are awesome. Every single one of them is an intelligent person with a strong personality. Several of the people I looked up to as role models as a freshman have become close friends now and I'm proud to be associated with them. I don't pressure anyone and I know that the people who hang out with me do so because they like me and want to be with me. If you knew LK's life and passion, Lauren's loving spirit, Matt's inner revolutionary, DaSilva's tender wildness, Jaya's wit and laughter... the list goes on forever, and I mean no offense to people I haven't mentioned. But my friends are beautiful people who I love deeply and who make my world brighter.

And don't you dare get up on Harry for being nerdy. He's a little nerdy but he's the coolest nerd you'll ever find and is loved by everyone who meets him. He's loyal and laid-back extremely attractive. He's intellectual and understands the very cutting edge of graphic art. He loves to think and does it well. He's also an amazing artist in his own right and a lighthearted, fun-loving guy with a great sense of humor that's not like anyone else's (except maybe his little brother's). He can make anyone laugh. He's extremely sincere. He's one of the only men I know that is not sexist and doesn't mind dating someone younger than him. He's not out to prove his masculinity and is still much more of a man than his violent counterparts, and better built. He's one of those people that others are grateful to have known. He's an incredible person with a strong personality and on optimistic outlook and I love him insanely. (Sorry if I'm embarrassing you, H. I really love you.)

I am in no way dumb. I have an IQ of 150, I'm extremely well read and have extensive knowledge of several literary movements and six writing awards under my belt from Columbia University, the Columbia-Scholastic Press Association, and the Scholastic Art and Writing Awards Competition. My SAT's and standardized tests have been 99th percentile since I was in kindergarten. I have taken college-level classes and earned A's. I'm editor-in-chief of the school paper, which used to be a crap publication that came out once a year and under my editorship now prints every quarter. I control a flexible staff of 30 now and began with three. Fortunately, I'm at a school where a lot of people are smart and inspired, and I'm not a rariety here; but I'm not a rule, either.

I'm strong and proud and happy right now, and no amount of vague anonymous criticism can bring me down. You can play war all you want but in the end, I will win, because my confidence is not hormonal and will not fluctuate unless my character does so first; and I write with no bitterness inside of me and no hatred at all, while others seem to carry so much bitterness that it seeps out through their fingers. I will be the "maid who defies the quips of blazoning pens;" by attacking the stone wall of my integrity you will only highlight your own weakness. Non-constructive criticism is obviously not intended to better the world in any way and in the end will always be exposed as pathetic and self-centered.

So I'll say it again: what power men possess to annoy me I grant them only by a weak curiousity. No man can come near me but through my act. Mess with me and you're messing with a philosophy of pride and self-reliance. I'm smart enough not to say things I don't mean and I'm anything but weak.

The irony, of course, is that I feel stronger now than ever before now that I know my own ability to face criticism and be truly self-reliant. I hope that some day everyone I know will feel this same sense of freedom grounded in strenth and the happiness it entails.

23 New Ideas

New Ideas:
Blogger Jaya thinks...

I'm glad my wit makes you happy. You really are an amazing person, and I love you.

But dammit, I just took a test (yay procrastination) and my IQ is only 142. I should work on that.

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

"I'm not a rariety here; but I'm not a rule, either."

misuse of semi-colon.

7:22 PM  
Blogger VVM thinks...

Miscapitolization.

Love you, J!

7:35 PM  
Blogger Harris Wolf thinks...

I blush.

also... I'm at least a medium sized nerd. Definately not a little nerd at all.

Hey, why don't you guys come over and visit my site!

Inflammatory comments or otherwise, if you have an Identity you can post!

8:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

well said.
love,
kate

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

wow. you're right. you are soo cool.
at first i thought you were conceited, but the essay you wrote about how you actually ARE beautiful and intelligent convinced me otherwise.
why didn't i see it before?

9:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

the point is not, in fact, whether or not you are any of the things you claim to be. most people commenting here do not have the right to determine who you really are from a blog because we don't know you. it's the fact that you constantly mention your godesslike perfection that fills us with a sense of awe and wonder. what a delightful creature you must be! if your pride is justified, then what is stopping you from starting your own religion! no one ever called jesus conceited for claiming he was the son of god. if your friends take time out of their day to read this and take it to heart, surely they would be willing to devote themselves to worshipping you also, because it is clear that this blog serves no other purpose than to sing your praises and give your readers a perfect map of your month-to-month menstrual cycle.
the rest of us humans beseech you, pitiful as we are, to take a naked look at what you've written. it is our duty as people to stop on a blog like this and tell you what we think because this blog is an insult to the weaknesses we little people all recognize in ourselves every day. the fact that you can talk for pages about thrift shopping or whether you are a hipster and expect people to be riveted boggles the mind and must be preserved and pointed out as a mutation in the blog sphere.
and when you say that you blog about yourself because you have no right to blog about anyone else is absurd. why should you have to blog about anyone. put your monstrously large superhuman brain to use and talk about big ideas, theories, the goddamn WORLD. the real one beyond your bathroom mirror and all the fucking faulkner you read. if you have the confidence (and confidence is a great thing) then stop TALKING about it. real confidence comes when you get out of yourself. if your "an autobiography person" you have to get a life to talk about.
-claire again

3:14 PM  
Blogger Harris Wolf thinks...

V really doesn't have as much confidence as she says. She's as fragile as anyone out there... and more than she should be at times.

If she's starting to assert her confidence and positive feelings more, then I have no problem with that.

You unknowns out there don't know V. You don't know how far she's come, and how much healthier her view of herself is these days.

Let her be positive, and go back to your own lives.

She's not better than any of you, and she's not trying to say that. She's just finally happy with herself.

sorry for talking on your behalf V.

love H.

3:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

I used to go to Friends and not only are you a loser but you're totally judging and look down on everyone cuz you're insecure. You win those awards because no one else tries to and the paper is proabably still shit. I'm soo happy someone showed me this site because now it makes me feel happy whenever I'm down.

3:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

I used to go to Friends and not only are you a loser but you're totally judging and look down on everyone cuz you're insecure. You win those awards because no one else tries to and the paper is proabably still shit. I'm soo happy someone showed me this site because now it makes me feel happy whenever I'm down.

3:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

mispelling of miscapitalization

3:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

come now. brutality like this is the stuff of movies like 'mean girls'. i do think this blog is completely ridiculous, but it's not hurtful to anyone, it's just superbly flattering of one person. and the latter is better.

4:15 PM  
Blogger Harris Wolf thinks...

If you people wouldn't normally say any of this stuff to someones face...

then why do you think it's ok to say it online?

so unless I should arrange a lil' meeting so we can all get together and talk...

no... no I don't think you guys would want that.

4:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

both of the last two posts have very valid points. its really just pointless name calling. but there is a reason that "mean girl" situations occur so often in society: it is fun to tell people just what you think of their shit. also, if any of us really truly felt that they were above this stuff, they wouldn't participate in such online forums. plus, you who say that this is like "mean girls" - you didn't have to mention that you think that this blog is ridiculous (though it certainly is).

now i cant remember what my point was. but i think i made it somewhere in there.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

mr b.

though it's true most of us wouldn't say these things in person, we wouldn't go around saying the things she says in person either.

something obviously needed to be said. a point needed to be made. this has clearly been bubbling under the surface for a loooong time.

and though there has been a lot of hateful namecalling, i also think there is some constructive critism if only veronica would see it.

on another note: you sound like a nice guy. she is lucky to have you.

4:43 PM  
Blogger NEO-Kun thinks...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6:15 PM  
Blogger NEO-Kun thinks...

Getting into transcendentalism there a little V? I don't know you very well, but I think you're awesome. Who are these anonymous people anyway?

6:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

perhaps you should make this friends only...if that's possible on a blog. not quite sure as i don't have one.
con amor,
kate

7:34 PM  
Blogger Sophie thinks...

You think that by belittling someone's personal thoughts, you are doing a favor to humanity? It's your goddamn duty to be mean to strangers who you potentially might not get along with if you ever met? I mean, I'm as annoyed by self-absorption as the next person, but it's not your responsibility to point out the flaws of people you've never met. (This does not include our current President.) Oh, by the way, in about 2 paragraphs it's laughably obvious what a bitter, unpleasant person you are. I actually giggled to myself, and said out loud, "Jesus, what a cranky bitch."

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

All I have to say is that Veronica here has twenty comments now. How many have you gotten lately? How many of you write things that affect readers in any way, positively or negatively? I'm willing to bet that you haven't. I think that says something.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Lucas thinks...

On the subject of most of what you said: cool. The one thing I take issue with is the assertion that Harry is the only guy willing to go out with a younger girl, which is just not true. For evidence, here is a direct quotation.
"Younger girls are hot."
-All men

8:35 PM  
Blogger Élan thinks...

Firstly, allow me to second what Lucas just said.

Secondly, you have the patience of a saint to put up with all the bullshit you get on this blog. Take it from me that from your posts you come off as very intelligent, self-aware and genuinely sophisticated. Don't bring yourself down to the level of the fools who try and provoke you; no one's forcing them to read your blog.

- Elan
(Eli's friend, from Matt's party)

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous thinks...

I was directed here by a close friend. As I don't know anybody involved, I get the fortunate perspective of not having any prior biases. It is my opinion that this blog, like every other blog that has ever existed since Moses did part the sea, all the while singing loudly the guitar solo to "Freebird", is a self-centered work of approval seeking in some fashion or another. Not too different from those who present any work that they have produced in a public fashion. Lord knows my biggest motivator is approval when it comes to my endeavors. Is this bad? Only if it offends you. You probably need more approval than those who blog, though, if you are responding, essentially trying to stir up a social apocalypse. But, hey, what do I know. I'm just some random fool on InTern3tzz!!!111 lololomg

2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Who links to me?