Wednesday, April 5

Harry got linked to and complimented by the author(s?) of ZebraGirl, an awesome webcomic that's pretty well known! It's at the 4/6 news entry under this comic (just scroll down).

And for those of you who don't know, I've lived under the doctrine of "tenga verguenza," which I was told meant "have modesty" but which translates more accurately to "have shame," for most of my life. Having confidence has been an uphill struggle for me as far back as I can remember. Last semester was truly awful. But I'm not weak and I never really buckled and now I've come so far as to have reached a sort of plateau. I'm sorry if the fact that I like myself and I'm happy is offensive to some people. But my friends, who read my blog by choice, do so with the knowledge that I'm no politician or gawker and that I intend to write about myself. What the hell do you expect me to write about? I don't have the right to write about anyone else, anyway, and besides, I'm not lying about that inherent love of the first person. It includes enjoying reading other people's blogs, devouring autobiographies and even preferring fictional narratives in the first person over others. I'm going to keep writing this way, and if you don't like it, you don't have to read it. Fin.

I know that if you don't know me it might seem like I'm just being obnoxious or pompous. But I write for people who know me and know that I have to fight for my freedom a bit harder than most. Look back a few months into my archives, and read between the lines a little, and you'll see the blue devil dragging me down.

There's also a very fine line between pride and arrogance, to quote DH, and it lies in the difference between using your personal merits and self-respect as an excuse to condescend other people and bring them down and enjoying both yourself and others. I love people quite easily and don't use pride to assert any kind of superiority. My vision of an ideal society is one in which everyone respects both themselves and each other, and I intend to persue it.

And Lucas... yeah. That part was a bit factually erroneous. What I meant was more along the lines of "dates/treats younger women as equals in spite of the age gap," and I think you do a pretty good job of it. And "Jailhouse Rock" is awesome just for the one dance number in the fake prison scene. Every time I watch it I get a little chill up my back.

I'm sick and tired (and that's not a figure of speech) and I'm going to go to bed so that I have a shot at being well enough to go to school tomorrow.

1 New Ideas

New Ideas:
Blogger Lucas thinks...

Word, G.
You may like that dance number because the men are all gay and yet macho, and dancing. It is very awesome.
I like it for the music and the hilariousness. The scene where the lawyer and the girl do the handclaps in "Treat Me Nice" is rivalled only by "Okay boys, you can come out now."

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home





Who links to me?